Omega-3 is one of the most essential nutrients to include in your diet. It is necessary for good heart health and to keep your bones and skin healthy. However, the body is unable to produce these Omega 3 fatty acids which makes it essential to include it in your diet.
Omega 3 fatty acids are also called marine omega 3 fatty acids because they are usually obtained from fish. According to the AHA or the American Heart Association, it is a good idea to eat fish such as herring, salmon and mackerel twice a week to obtain Omega 3 fatty acids. However, if you are unable to consume fish, you have the option of taking Omega-3 Supplements that provide you with your daily recommended dosage of this essential nutrient.
What is Omega-3?
Omega-3 fatty acids are good fats that our body needs. They are polyunsaturated fatty acids that are needed for several metabolic processes. The human body requires three types of Omega-3 fatty acids, namely:
- EPA or eicosapentaenoic acid
- DHA or docosahexaeonic acid
- ALA or alpha- linolenic acid
MuscleBlaze Fish Oil is one of the most popular Omega-3 Supplements in the market. With each container you get 100 softgels. Each soft gel contains 1000mg of Omega-3 fatty acids which include EPA and DHA
What are the Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
The Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids include:
- Prevention and Management of Cardiovascular Diseases: There are several studies which prove that heart attack victims have a better chance of survival when they consume Omega-3 fatty acids. The DHA which is found in most Omega 3 supplements can help reduce any inflammation as it improves the activity of a type of White Blood Cell called the B-cell. This is essential in preventing and also reversing several heart problems.
- They Improve the Synthesis of Fats: A study conducted on mice by the Kyoto University in Japan shows that consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids turns fat storage cells into those that burn fat. Certain receptors in your digestive tract are stimulated with the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids which prompts the cells to metabolize any stored fats. Consuming Omega 3 fatty acids leads to almost 25 percent lesser storage of fat in the body.
- Reduced Risk of Diabetes: Omega-3 fatty acids help oxidize the free radical in the body which leads to fewer complications related to diabetes. According to a recent study, the risk of eye complications related to diabetes is reduced significantly with the consumption of Omega 3 supplements as well as fatty fish. The risk is reduced by almost 48 per cent in comparison to those who do not consume Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Boosts Immunity: When Omega 3 fatty acids are combined with a certain anti-oxidant called astaxanthin, immunity is boosted considerably. This anti-oxidant is found in some supplements but is mainly derived by eating fatty fish such as salmon. This can prevent several health disorders and even reduce the chances of age- related health issues.
- Keeps the Skin and Hair Healthy: One of the best known benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids is improved hair and skin health. These fatty acids improve the elasticity of the skin by providing fat-soluble vitamins. This makes the skin smooth and supple. It also reduces the chances of wrinkles and is, therefore, used as an anti-aging supplement. Issues like dandruff and hair fall are reduced when the body is nourished with EPA and DHA. Without these fatty acids, the skin and hair are unable to retain moisture and end up looking dry and lifeless. It can even reduce serious skin issues such as eczema.
- Reduced Symptoms of Arthritis: Several studies conducted on individuals with rheumatoid arthritis revealed that the response to treatment improved with the consumption of Omega-3 Fatty acids. Arthritic pain was considerably reduced. In addition to that, the progress of this condition is also curbed with the consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Helps Fight Cancer: Omega-3 fatty acids are most useful in managing cancerous growth, especially in the colon, breast and the prostrate. It can be used as a natural cancer treatment and is also known to improve the results of any treatment that an individual is undergoing. These fatty acids are useful in inhibiting the growth of these cancerous cells. The ALA, EPA and DHA are particularly useful in treating cancers related to women such as ovarian cancer or breast cancer.
- Keeps the Eyes Healthy: Omega 3 fatty acids are especially useful in preventing any age related eye disorders. This includes cataract and even age related macular degeneration. It not only prevents these conditions but is also known to reverse several eye disorders. In fact, the National Eye Institute published a study in 2009 which revealed that macular degeneration was reduced by 30 percent in individuals who consumed Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- Improves Memory: According to a study published in PLoS ONE, memory was boosted by 23 percent in individuals aged between 18-25 years after consuming Omega-3 supplements for 6 months. DHA is essential for the development of the brain. It can also improve overall mental health and alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression and several other common issues.
How much Omega-3 should you Consume?
Omega-3 supplements are available in the form of capsules. Your consumption of Omega-3 should not exceed 3 grams per day unless recommended by the doctor. If can cause issues like loose stools, nausea and even increased bleeding when consumed excessively. Thus, it is best to consume Omega-3 supplements as recommended and advised by a certified health expert.